Thursday, September 07, 2006

Putting the world on my shoulders...

Todays topic is the amount of time that I put into work each day. Currently I put at a minimum 12 hours (minimum that is) in at work each day, I spend about 8 in the office, then the rest of the time at home working on the laptop.
It is way to common that I come home from work, eat dinner with the family, put the kids to sleep, then work until 1am or so only to awaken at 6am, resuming where I left off.

There are many reasons for this unhealthy behavior, I shoulder the burden for most of it:
- I have the only income in the house, so I want to ensure my revenue stream is ok
- I always want to be the best at whatever I do, so I work hard to be on top ("if I am not in the top 10% at what I do, then I should be doing something else")

Then there are the work reasons:
- I get stuff done, so they give me more to do
- There is always something to be done and not enough time to complete all the tasks at hand

The real questions are:
- What will all this work really mean in 10 years?
- What is life, health and my personal time really worth?
- Does the company really care if I worked 10 vs. 12 hours or more?

Life is a pretty fragile thing, it is here one day.. and you should enjoy it at that time, as you have no guarantees for having more.

These are some of the things I am thinking about today...