Thursday, September 14, 2006

Mentorship and giving back

A couple of thoughts for the day:

- Mentorship (getting and giving)

- Giving back

For mentorship, I have been approached recently by a couple of peers, requesting some of my time for mentoring. I am very flattered by the request, but unsure of how to take it to the next step. I was being mentored by a well respected individual in my organization, but never seemed to get to any actual mentoring (at least not in the way I expected).
I find these as keys to any relationship, including mentoring;
- as in any relationship, stating your goals and expectations
- open communication on both sides
- setting aside the time to listen intently to the guidance or challenges

I am pondering whether I am capable at this time of giving the time and efforts necessary to do justice in a mentoring relationship.

Giving back is the other subject of thought lately, I wasn't raised with a "silver-spoon" in my mouth, nor did I have all Ivy-league friends in school. I want to find a way to enhance the lives of others, helping them to acheive more than I have been able to thus far.
I guess mentoring is one way, but that would be for people already well in the path of their careers (at least mentoring those at work). I should probably look into some type of program for low-income individuals, wherein I could use my professional skills to guide them down a different future or career path.

Well that is it for now..